MEXICAN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
"Cornbread base topped with beef, zesty tomatoes, corn, and cheese for a flavorful baked entree.
Corn is a central ingredient in Mexican cooking, so cornbread gives this casserole a Mexican flair. The added touch of sweetness in cornbread makes this casserole a real kid-pleaser."
Recipe from: RO*TEL
Recipe and picture from: Recipes.com
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pkg
- corn muffin mix
- 1/4 c
- egg beaters® original - or - 1 - fresh egg
- 1/3 c
- reduced fat (2%) milk
- 3/4 c
- frozen whole kernel corn, divided
- 1/2 lb
- ground chuck beef (80% lean)
- 1 - 10 oz. can(s)
- ro*tel® original diced tomatoes & green chilies, drained
- 1 - 8 oz. can(s)
- ro*tel® - original tomato & green chili sauce
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1 c
- shredded reduced fat mexican cheese blend
How to Make MEXICAN CORNBREAD CASSEROLE
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Spray 8x8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2Stir together cornbread mix, Egg Beaters (or 1-egg), milk, and half of corn in bowl.
Pour into prepared dish.
- 3Meanwhile, cook beef in medium skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until crumbled and no longer pink, stirring occasionally; drain.
- 4Stir in drained tomatoes, tomato sauce, remaining corn, and cumin.
Pour mixture over top of cornbread batter.
Top with cheese.
- 5Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cornbread is done.
- 6Nutrition information:
Per serving: Calories 276,
Total Fat 13 g,
Saturated Fat 6 g,
Sodium 886 mg,
Carbohydrate 38 g,
Fiber 2 g,
Protein 16 g,
Calcium 368 mg,
Sugar 11 g,
Iron 2 mg.
Daily Values: Vitamin C 2%.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.