Mexicali Beef Stew in Pumpkin Shell
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 1/2 lbbeef for stew
1 - 2 Tbspvegetable oil
2 largeonions, chopped
4 clovegarlic, crushed
4 cbeef stock
1 cmild or medium salsa or picante sauce
2 mediumzucchini cut into 1/4" slices
4 tspcornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
2 smalltomatoes, chopped into bite-size bits
2 1/4 ozcan sliced ripe olives, drained
1pumpkin, 5 - 6 pounds
How to Make Mexicali Beef Stew in Pumpkin Shell
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add beef, onions, and garlic; brown beef evenly. Pour off drippings. Add broth and salsa. Return beef; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut top off pumpkin; scrape out fibers and seeds. Approximately 10 minutes before serving, pour boiling water into pumpkin; cover and let stand. Drain before serving.
- Add zucchini to Dutch oven; continue cooking, covered, 10 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water. Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in tomatoes and olives. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Ladle into Pumpkin Shell.
- ***Note – I realize that the pumpkin seems like a fanciful touch, but it will keep the stew hot for hours!