The photo is my own.
- mexi-grande beef crust:
- pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2
- cups of ritz crackers, rolled medium fine
- eggs slightly beaten
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- tablespoons onion flakes
- teaspoon cumin
- teaspoons garlic salt
- teaspoon gebhardt's chili powder
- teaspoon cayenne pepper
- mexi-grande filling:
- 11 ounce can mexi-corn, drained
- small can chopped ortega green chilis, drained
- 12 ounces frozen peas and carrots
- teaspoons beef granules
- teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce
- cup of shredded american cheese
- mashed potatoes:
- enough boiled potatoes to make 3 cups of mashed potatoes
- green onions chopped fine
- tablespoons butter
- cup sour cream
- splash of milk if needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- cup grated american cheese
How to Make MEXI-GRANDE PIE
- 1Cook's Tip: Before you begin, read the directions through. I encourage you to make the recipe as written because it is seasoned perfectly. This way, you will know what it is supposed to taste like.
- 2Peel the potatoes, cut into small chunks and boil until tender, set aside.
- 3MAKE THE MEAT CRUST:
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, add the lean beef, crackers, eggs, 8 ounces tomato sauce, onion flakes, garlic salt, cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Mix with your hands until well combined.
- 4Put the meat mixture in a 2 1/2 quart round pyrex casserole dish. Press the meat into the bottom and up the sides, making a crust, bring the crust all the way to the top of the dish. See my second photo of unbaked crust. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes on a foil lined cookie sheet with a lip. (A pizza pan works great. This makes getting it in and out of the oven several times easier) The meat crust should be done, but not dried out. Meanwhile, make the filling.
- 5MAKE THE FILLING:
In a small saucepan add the peas and carrots, mexi-corn, chilis, corn starch, beef granules, and 8 ounce can of tomato sauce. Stir gently and heat slowly, bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Turn to low and keep hot.
- 6MAKE THE MASHED POTATO RECIPE:
Drain the mashed potatoes in a collander and add the green onions, butter, sour cream, salt and pepper to taste. mash the potatoes, adding a splash of milk if needed. When they are to your liking, fold in 1/2 cup of american cheese. Put the lid on and set aside.
- 7PUT IT ALL TOGETHER:
After the meat has cooked, remove it from the oven and pour off the accumulated grease that is in the bottom of the casserole dish. Add the hot vegetable filling to the meat pie. (I put narrow foil strips around my meat so it doesn't dry the top of the crust--just like a pie crust you bake--leaving the filling exposed) Bake 20 more minutes. Remove from oven.
Sprinkle meat and filling with one cup of cheese. Add the mashed potatoes, sealing it to the sides of the casserole dish like my picture depicts. You can make pretty designs with a fork, or pipe on the potatoes if you are ambitious. Bake the mexi-grande pie another 10 minutes, then turn the broiler to high, watching the potatoes carefully, until they are a golden brown, (about 10 minutes) remove from the oven and serve. Enjoy!