Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers
1 lbground beef
·italian bread crumbs
1 smallwhite onion
24 ozcan basil tomatoes
3 largepeppers (green, red or yellow, or use all 3!)
2 clovegarlic, chopped not minced
·salt and pepper to taste
·worcestershire sauce (a few splashes)
·sharp cheddar cheese cubed
How to Make Meatloaf Stuffed Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, 1/2 cup of the tomatoes and juice, chopped onion, egg, seasonings, and worcestershire sauce together. Start mixing in bread crumbs. I didn't measure this one, but if I had to guestimate, I'd say I used between 1-2 cups. Start small, and start mixing in until themeat mixture pulls together well.
- Core the peppers by cutting through the top of each pepper and removing the seeds and core. Slice each pepper into 3 rings, make sure they're fairly thick (tall) slices.
- Heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a deep OVEN PROOF skillet over medium-high heat. While oil is heating, start packing the meat mixture into your pepper rings. To do this, take a handful of meat mix, and tightly shape it around a single cube of cheddar, making sure to seal it in very well so the cheese doesn't leak out. Once the cheese is sealed in each meat "bundle", pack the bundles into your peppers TIGHTLY. You almost want to overpack them, as the ground beef will cook down a bit, and start pulling away from the peppers in the skillet.
- Carefully place the pepper patties into the skillet, turn your heat down to medium and cook approximately 5 minutes on each side. Once done, pour your remaining tomatoes and basil WITH juice over top of the pepper loaves and let it cook down for another 2-3 minutes with the grease. This is going to make an absolutely awesome sauce.
- Turn off your burner and carefully place the entire skillet into the oven for 20-25 minutes, just enough to cook down the sauce a little more, and heat everything through.
- Serve topped/garnished with the tomato basil sauce from the pan. Enjoy!!!