★★★★★ 1 vote5
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2 1-inch slices stale country bread, crusts removed
- 2 large onions, very finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef, or combination beef and lamb
- 1-2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 pound krinos kasseri cheese, cut into small cubes
- flour for dredging
- vegetable oil for frying
- parsley ( optional )
How to Make Meatballs (Keftethes)
- 1Tear the bread into bite-size pieces, place in a bowl, and drizzle with water or- use breadcrumbs or I like flavored croutons. Let soak until all liquid is absorbed.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine the bread, onions, ground meat, one egg, mint, oregano, salt and pepper. Knead thoroughly until all ingredients are combined. If the mixture seems dry, add the other egg.
- 3Take one tablespoon of the meat mixture at a time, shape into a small ball, and make an indentation in the center with your finger. Stuff each meatball with a little of the cubed cheese, and pat together to close completely.
- 4Dredge the meatballs lightly in flour. Heat 2 inches of oil in a large skillet and fry the meatballs, turning, until golden brown on all sides. Remove, drain on paper towels and serve either hot or at room temperature.
Leave a Comment