MEATBALLS AND GRAVY -- BONNIE'S
The Photo is my own. Adapted from a recipe by Marie.
- pound extra lean ground beef
- slice thick french bread, soaked in milk, squeezed dry.
- small onion, grated
- teaspoons dried parsley
- egg, slightly beaten
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon black pepper
- teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- canola oil for frying
- fresh grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- teaspoon dried thyme
- tablespoons drippings
- tablespoons flour
- ounces beef broth
- ounces milk (i use 2%)
- tablespoon creamed horseradish
- teaspoon kitchen bouquet browning sauce (don't skip this!)
How to Make MEATBALLS AND GRAVY -- BONNIE'S
- 2Shape the mixture with your hands into walnut sized meat balls. (wet your hands if you need to) Heat some Canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and brown them all over. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Cover loosely with foil to keep them warm. Brown the meatballs in batches, don't crowd them in the pan. They should be a nice golden brown. After you have fried all the meatballs, measure out 2 tablespoons of grease, discard the rest, leaving the brown bits in the pan. Add the 2 tablespoons of grease back to the pan and make the gravy. Over medium heat, whisk the flour into the grease, let it cook one minute, then add the beef broth, milk, lemon zest, thyme, creamed horseradish and kitchen bouquet. Cook the gravy until it thickens. It will be sort of white. Add more salt if needed.
- 3Place the meatballs into a shallow casserole dish. Pour the gravy over the top of the meatballs, Bake uncovered for 25 minutes in a 350 degree, pre-heated oven until bubbling and the gravy turns brown. Serve hot and spooned over mashed potatoes, buttered noodles or steamed white rice. This is delicious! Enjoy!