Meatball Sub Casserole
- 1/3 c
- onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 c
- seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 16 oz
- ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp
- flax seed, fresh ground (optional)
- loaf italian bread
- 8 oz
- cream cheese or low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c
- mayonnaise or light miracle whip
- 1 tsp
- italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 8 oz
- shredded mozzarella, divided (low fat, if you'd like)
- 26-28 oz
- spaghetti sauce, meatless (healthy version, if you'd like)
- 1 c
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
How to Make Meatball Sub Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a shallow pan with foil; coat foil lightly with nonstick spray.
- 2In a bowl, combine onion, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, ground beef or turkey, and ground flax, if desired. Mix well and shape into 1 inch balls; place on prepared pan leaving a little space between each one. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 min or until no longer pink.
- 3Lightly coat a 13x9 baking dish with nonstick spray. Arrange Italian bread in a single layer in dish (I like to open the bread up like a sub and cut to fit in dish but however you'd like.) NOTE** All the bread may not fit in dish- that's ok.
- 4In a separate bowl, combine cream cheese, mayo, Italian seasoning and black pepper. Blend until smooth and well combined. Spread over bread in dish. Sprinkle 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese onto cream cheese mixture on bread.
- 5In a separate bowl, combine sauce, water and garlic; add the meatballs. Pour over cheese mixture. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella.
- 6Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve hot.