Meat Loaf with Bacon, Cheese and Brown Sugar Ketchup Glaze~Robynne
Disclaimer: I have always used recipes as a guide and use my instincts and experience to alter or omit ingredients as I cook. Therefore, it has always been a challenge when sharing recipes with others. I doubt I make dishes the same way twice. So, I advise you to use my recipes the same way. Trust your experience and adjust to your personal taste~Robynne
- 1 1/2 c
- ketchup or chili sauce **i use 3/4 c of each
- 4 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 2 tsp
- cider or white vinegar
- 1 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 tsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 2 large
- 1 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 tsp
- dijon mustard
- 2 tsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp
- steak sauce
- 1/4 tsp
- hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 c
- 2 lb
- meat loaf mix (1 part ground chuck, 1 part ground pork)
- 2/3 c
- crushed saltines (approx. 16) or 1 1/3 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp
- parsley flakes
- 1 lb
- bacon, cooked until crispy but slightly flexible
- 1 c
- sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
How to Make Meat Loaf with Bacon, Cheese and Brown Sugar Ketchup Glaze~Robynne
- 1MIX glaze ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- 2COOK bacon and drain on paper towels; set aside.
- 3PREHEAT oven to 350 F degrees. Saute onion and garlic in oil until softened, about 5 minutes; set aside to cool.
- 4MIX eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire, steak sauce, hot pepper sauce, and milk. Add egg mixture to meat in a large bowl, along with crackers or bread crumbs, parsley and cooked onions and garlic; mix with a fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl. *If mixture does stick, add additional mil a couple tablespoons at a time and continue mixing until mixture stops sticking.
- 5COVER a wire rack with foil, prick foil in several places with a fork. Place rack on a shallow roasting pan lined with foil for easy cleanup.
- 6TURN meat mixture onto prepared rack and with wet hands form mixture into a loaf approximately 9 X 5 inches.
- 7BAKE loaf for 35 minutes; remove from oven. Top loaf evenly with glaze mixture. Add bacon crosswise, over loaf, overlapping them slightly. Return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until bacon is crispy and glaze is bubbly.
- 8REMOVE from oven and top with grated cheese. Return to oven for final time until cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Approximately 5 minutes.
- 9Let cool 20 minutes. Slice and serve.