Marlboro Man’s Favorite Sandwich
- 1 large onion or 2 small/medium onions
- butter, lots of it
- 2 or 3 lbs. cube steak
- seasoned salt, preferably lawry’s
- lemon pepper
- black pepper
- worcestershire sauce
- 4 french or deli rolls or my personal favorite, kaiser rolls
How to Make Marlboro Man’s Favorite Sandwich
- 1Slice the onions. Melt 1/4 stick butter in skillet over medium heat. Believe me, you're going to see a lot more butter in this recipe.
- 2add onions and cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally til soft and light brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
- 3Cut each piece of cube steak against the grain into 1 inch strips. Season meat with a nice sprinkling of seasoned salt, lemon pepper and black pepper. Personally, I like garlic salt, too.
- 4Add 2 Tbsp. butter to same skillet in which you cooked the onion. Turn heat to high. Let butter begin to turn brown, about 2 minutes. The skillet needs to be HOT.
- 5Add enough meat to the hot skillet to form a single layer. Don’t stir. Let it sit for about a minute or long enough for one side to turn brown. Then using a spatula, flip the meat over. Cook for another minute, then remove to a plate.
- 6Pour in Worcestershire sauce, several dashes of Tabasco according to taste, and an additional 2 Tbsp. butter. Simmer mixture over low heat for about 5 minutes to thoroughly warm.
Cut each roll in half lengthwise. Spread generously with butter, then brown on a griddle or skillet.
- 7Put the rolls face up on a plate, then place the meat mixture on the bottom half. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of pan juices over the top. This will keep the meat moist and seep into the bread, which makes for an utterly decadent sandwich.