Marie's Empanada Filling
I knew someone who was a volunteer at my job,Who made Empanadas and I loved them so much I went home and made them myself. Unfortunately I had sense lost the recipe.
I asked around. I looked on the net and after taking in the suggestions on the recipe, this is what I came up with.. They turned well excepted.
My recipe is not precise I estimated the seasonings. Feel free to adjust it to your liking.
- 1 lb
- 1 medium
- spanish onion
- 4 clove
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- 4 medium
- 1/2 c
- 2 pkg
- sazon goya with coriander and annatto
- 2 Tbsp
- goya recaito ( cilantro cooking base
- 1/2 jar(s)
- goya sorrito ( tomato cooking base
- 4 pkg
- goya empanada disks ( or you can make the doe)
- spanish olives
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil to deep fry with
How to Make Marie's Empanada Filling
- 1Dice Onions
- 2Mince or Crush Garlic Cloves
- 3Add about 2 Tables spoons of Olive oil to your pan. Let it heat up and place Diced Onions and Garlic cloves in the pan for a few minutes to allow onion to sweat.
Remove the onion and garlic from the pan to a bowl for later.
- 4In A 2 quart pan, cook hamburger. (While cooking Hamburger continue your prep work.) Once cooked drain off the fat.
- 5Dice Bell peppers and cube potatoes.
- 6Add Garlic, Onion, peppers, potatoes and rice to the pot of cooked hamburger.
- 7And Seasoning, Cover with water until everything is covered. Bring it to a boil. Lower the heat,cover and let it simmer until the liquid absorbs and the potato and rice are cooked. Let it set to cool off. I put mine in 2 bowls and placed them in the fridge. I found they work better when the mixture is cooled off enough to work with. The flavors marinade.
- 8I filled my empananda shells and place 2 whole olives in each one. You can cut them in half, I did the last time I cooked them. But the whole olive works wonders. You can deep fry them for a couple of minutes in a deep fryer or on the stove until they are as brown as you like. They can be baked But I have never done it.