Mama's Country Fried Steak
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb
- cubed steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- a little bit of flour on a plate
- salt and pepper in the flour
- paprika in the flour if you have any
- 2 - 3 Tbsp
- shortening or bacon fat
- 1 1/2 c
- water or water/milk combination
- well-seasoned large iron skillet
How to Make Mama's Country Fried Steak
- 1Heat fat until hot, and season your flour. Dredge steak pieces in the flour, pressing in well and shaking off excess, then coat again.
- 2Cook steak pieces in hot fat, allowing about 1 inch between pieces, so cook only as many at a time as will fit in the pan without crowding. This makes them crisp. As they get done on one side, flip over and cook the other side.
- 3Remove steak pieces to a foil-lined pan and keep warm in slow oven while cooking remaining steak.
Stir a couple of tablespoons of the leftover flour into the water/milk mixture.
- 4When steak is cooked, scrape up browned bits in bottom of pan, and stir in the water or water/milk combination. Bring slowly to a boil, and cook until thick for gravy. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- 5OPTIONAL: You may brown 1 sliced onion in fat prior to adding liquid to make gravy.