Mama's Country Fried Steak
1 1/2 to 2 lbcubed steak, cut into serving-size pieces
·a little bit of flour on a plate
·salt and pepper in the flour
·paprika in the flour if you have any
2 - 3 Tbspshortening or bacon fat
1 1/2 cwater or water/milk combination
1well-seasoned large iron skillet
How to Make Mama's Country Fried Steak
- Heat fat until hot, and season your flour. Dredge steak pieces in the flour, pressing in well and shaking off excess, then coat again.
- Cook steak pieces in hot fat, allowing about 1 inch between pieces, so cook only as many at a time as will fit in the pan without crowding. This makes them crisp. As they get done on one side, flip over and cook the other side.
- Remove steak pieces to a foil-lined pan and keep warm in slow oven while cooking remaining steak.
Stir a couple of tablespoons of the leftover flour into the water/milk mixture.
- When steak is cooked, scrape up browned bits in bottom of pan, and stir in the water or water/milk combination. Bring slowly to a boil, and cook until thick for gravy. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- OPTIONAL: You may brown 1 sliced onion in fat prior to adding liquid to make gravy.