Lubeya Polo (Green Beans, Ground Beef, Rice)
The tomato sauce and cinnamon are such a different flavor combo than we are normally eating. I hope you try some of the Persian dishes I have posted.
- 2 large
- onions, sliced in half circles
- 3 lb
- ground beef
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large
- can tomato paste
- 2 lb
- fresh or frozen green beans, trimmed and cut
- 3 c
- basmati rice
- olive oil, extra virgin
How to Make Lubeya Polo (Green Beans, Ground Beef, Rice)
- 1Saute` onions and beef with cinnamon, turmeric, salt and pepper. Add green beans and tomato paste. Add water to make the desired consistency (I usually add about 4 cups).
- 2Add rice, and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until rice has absorbed most of the water but is not mushy. Remove from pan.
- 3Heat oil in the bottom of pot over medium heat (make sure it is a non-stick pot.) Dump rice mixture back into pot. Wrap a clean dish towel around the inside of the pot's lid (the ends of the dish towel will be folded over the edges on top of the lid,) and put the lid on the pot.
- 4Cook for 35 minutes, without uncovering or stirring. Remove lid and place a tray on top of the pot, then carefully flip it over. The rice will hold the shape of pot with a nice crust on top called 'tah digh.'