Recipe and photo are my own.
2 1/2-3 lbground beef
2 largeonions, chopped
1 boxpillsbury hot roll mix
1 mediumhead cabbage, chopped
1 can(s)sauerkraut, drained very well
1 Tbspgarlic, minced
·lots of salt and pepper
How to Make Krautburgers-Annette's
- Brown your ground beef with your chopped onions, chopped cabbage, minced garlic and sauerkraut that has been drained VERY well.
- You will want to stir your ground beef mixture often to make sure your cabbage is cooking well. This mixture will shrink down in size. Once meat is brown, turn down heat and continue to cook about 15 minutes.
- Remove meat mixture from burner and either allow to cool in pan or pour into a large bowl to cool COMPLETELY. Mixture needs to be cooled all the way before filling dough.
- While meat mixture is cooling, prepare hot roll mix according to package directions. Allow it to rise in greased bowl in a warm place in your kitchen. Again, just follow the directions on the box.
- Once the dough has had time to rise, flour a surface and remove the dough from the bowl. Cut the dough in half, then cut the halves in half. This will give you 8 pieces. If you want to make smaller Krautburgers, cut them down to make 10 or 12. I always make 8 or 10 but no smaller.
- Flour your rolling pin and roll out a piece of dough one at a time. Roll it out into a fairly thin circle. Place 3/4-1 cup meat mixture in the center. Fold over the 2 sides and then bring up the top and bottom.
- Place seam side down on a greased cookie sheet or baking pan. Cover with a clean tea towel and let rise in a warm spot for about 20-30 minutes more. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and take a stick of butter or margarine and rub over the tops to coat completely. This will keep the dough from getting hard and make them extra yummy. Enjoy!
- ***Many people dip these in mustard and some dip them in ketchup. Find what you like. I mix the 2 together. They are delicious without any condiments at all as well.***