KL's Chili beans
1 lbdry pinto beans
1 lbground beef
1 can(s)stewed tomatoes
2 Tbspchili powder
1 tsporegano, dried
1/2 pkgchorizo, mexican sausage (optional)
2 Tbspmasa harina to thicken (optional)
How to Make KL's Chili beans
- In a lg heavy bottom pot, on medium heat, cook the chopped onion with the chorizo until chorizo is done, if using chorizo. Otherwise add onion to ground beef (step 5)
- Add beans that have been soaked according to package directions, jalapenos, chili powder, cuimn, oregano and garlic.
- Add enough water to make 6 quarts.
- Simmer on Medium, covered for 2 hours. Check periodically to make sure there is still enough liquid and stir.
- Cook ground beef in a skillet. Drain off the grease and add cook meat to the chili pot.
- Crush the stewed tomatoes into a bowl and add the masa, if using. Otherwise just crush right into the pot with your fingers. (you can imagine you are sqwishing someone you are mad at...lol)
- Continue to simmer until beans are soft. Can take up to 2 more hours depending on the beans.
- Serve with some chopped onion, sour cream, diced peppers, shredded cheese, corn bread, or tortillas, what ever you like.