Joyce's pot roast
- one piece top round, or rump roast, tied if needed, 4 pounds
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour for dredging
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- eight cipollini onions or one chopped onion
- 1 cup beef stock
- one large clove garlic
- 12 baby carrots
- 12 baby new potatoes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
How to Make Joyce's pot roast
- 1season meat with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or other heavy pot that can later be covered. Brown meat on all sides. Add onions, garlic, beef stock, and ketchup. Cover and simmer for two hours on stove, turning once or twice.
- 2Preheat oven to 325°.
- 3Add potatoes and carrots, replace cover, and place pot in the oven for another hour. Remove when potatoes and carrots are tender.
- 4Remove meat from pot and cover with foil to keep warm. Skim the fat from the surface of the remaining juice. Heat the pot and reduce the liquid by half. To serve, slice the meat and serve it with the pan juice.
Serves 6 to 8.