Italian Beef -- Fantastico
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is such a tender and tasty meat! I substituted a can of beer for one of the cans of beef broth as Gary suggests, and it really added to the flavor. We opted to cool the meat in the fridge overnight which made it very easy to slice and serve. When it came time for sandwich assembly I chose a delicious roll from my grocer’s bakery and added a layer of cheese. Very enjoyable! The Test Kitchen
- 3 to 4 lb
- beef roast -- top or bottom round, rump or eye of round
- 3 can(s)
- beef broth or to cover
- 1 pkg
- dry italian salad dressing mix (good seasons original - not the zesty)
- 3 clove
- garlic fresh or 2 teaspoons powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- italian seasoning dry (additional)
- 1 jar(s)
- pepperoncini peppers whole (small jar) include 1/2 jar of the juice
- salt and pepper
- french rolls -- warmed or toasted underside
- crock pot
I PREPARE THIS AT LEAST A DAY AHEAD
How to Make Italian Beef -- Fantastico
- 1Prepare a day or two in advance. Season and rub the roast with the dry Italian Salad Dressing mix.
- 2Place Roast in Crock Pot along with the three cans of Beef Broth to almost cover. You could substitute one can of beer for a can of broth. Top Round and Eye of Round are more tender and will take slightly less cooking time.
- 3Add the small jar of whole Pepperoncini and 1/2 the jar of juice, along with the Garlic and additional dry Italian Seasoning. Six to eight peppers and 1/2 to 2/3 cup of
- 4Crock Pot for 4 to 6 hours on high, or all day if you have a Crock Pot that automatically adjusts.
- 5When Beef is cooked I remove from juice and refrigerate Roast (to firm up for slicing) and juices overnight. I prefer it sliced but if cooked longer you could shred.
- 6Next morning remove Roast and slice thin. Return to juices, and refrigerate or place Roast and juices back into Crock Pot to warm and serve. I use meat slicer but can almost do as well with a knife.
- 7To show to the extent, I am opinionated -- The only way to serve Italian Beef Sandwiches is on a good, firm full bodied rectangular bread or roll. "Earth Grains" makes my favorite in their "San Francisco Style French Rolls", 6 to a package. Baguettes sliced to 5" length, are a reasonable substitute. A Hamburger Bun or Kaiser Roll will not do it for me.
- 8My favorite accompaniments are "Giardiniera" an Italian condiment of Celery, Onions and Peppers that comes in mild, medium or hot variety. Giardiniera and chopped raw onion make the sandwich for me, along with a small bowl of the juice for dipping. My Better Friends get to take some home. Ciao!