★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 3 large
- spanish onions (yellow)
- 2 1/2 lb
- stew meat (or cubed chuck roast 2.5 to 3 lb)
- 2 Tbsp
- sweet paprika
- 2 tsp
- salt (additional 1 tsp if you need to add more after ingredients are combined)
- 1/4 tsp
- black pepper
- 6 oz
- tomato paste (small can)
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 tsp
- minced garlic (1 clove garlic)
- 1/3 c
- vegetable oil
How to Make Hungarian Goulash
- 1heat oil in large pot/dutch oven. Cook sliced onions until soft and then remove onions from pot and set aside.
- 2combine sweet paprika, salt, and pepper. Coat meat with spices and add to dutch oven to brown meat on all sides.
- 3Return onions to pot with meat, tomato paste, garlic, water. Simmer for 2 hours. Suggest serve with rice, butter noodles, or boiled red potatoes and choice of veggies on the side.
- 4Optional for this recipe: substitute 1 1/2 c water for 1 c water and 1/2 c red wine.
Diced veggies can be added last 30 minutes of cooking for more of a stew.
1tsp chipotle powder can be added for added heat.
if you want more salt add 1 additional tsp in step 3 when water, tomato paste and garlic is added.