2 Tbspbacon fat or olive oil
3 cchopped onions
2 clovegarlic, minced
3 Tbspsweet hungarian paprika
2 tsphot hungarian paprika (optional)
3 lbboneless chuck roast cut into 1-1/2" cubes
·salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
4 clow sodium chicken broth
2 tspcaraway seeds, ground
2 cpotatoes, peeled & diced into 1/2" cubes (about 12 oz)
2 ccarrots, peeled & diced into 1/2" cubes
1 largered pepper, diced
3 largetomatoes, peeled, seeded & diced or 2/3 cup drained diced canned tomatoes
2 Tbspfresh marjoram, chopped
·egg noodles & sour cream (optional)
How to Make HUNGARIAN GOULASH (SALLYE)
- Heat fat in large Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add onions and garlic, cooking for about 20 minutes until softened. Stir often to avoid burning.
- Stir in sweet paprika and hot paprika until onions are coated (1-2 minutes)
Add meat, a little salt and a few grinds of pepper.
Add 1/2 cup broth
Cook on medium high heat until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Add caraway seeds and remaining broth.
Bring to boi, reduce heat to low and cook, covered for about 1 hour or until meat is almost tender
Skim and discard fat.
- Add potatoes, carrots, red pepper and tomatoes.
Cook another 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Skim fat and discard
- Serve as is, or reduce until it thickens.
To reduce, strain all solids from soup and place in large mixing bowl.
Bring stock remaining in pot to boil and cook until reduced, then add back solids.
Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over cooked noodles with sour cream and marjoram.