2 lbground chuck (or lean hamburger)
1 mediumyellow onion
1 pkgtaco seasoning mix
2 Tbspchili powder
46 oztomato juice
1 Tbspgarlic powder
1/4 csugar, optional
How to Make Homemade Chili
- Brown hamburger meat in a large pot, drain and return to pot.
- Dice onion and add to hamburger.
- Add taco seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to meat/onion, and stir well, cooking the seasonings into the meat.
- After cooking for about 10 minutes, add tomato juice and sugar (optional).
- Lower heat and simmer (covered) for about 30-45 minutes. Remove cover and "bubble" another 15 minutes, to allow sauce to thicken a bit.
- Cool slightly before serving - top dish with a squirt of ketchup and a 1/2 tsp of white vinegar, for a very tasty "sweet and sour" effect.