Hearty Beef Stew Slow Cooker Style mm-m!
- 3 lbs
- chuck roast trimmed, cut to 1.5 in pcs
- salt & pepper
- medium onions, chopped white or yellow
- 3-4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 3 TB
- flour, all purpose
- 1 Cup
- full bodied dry red wine
- 2 Cups
- low sodium chicken broth
- bay leaves
- 1 tsp
- dried thyme
- 4 med
- red potatoes, peeled cut to 1-inch cubes
- 4 lrg
- carrots, peeled cut to 1/4-inch slices = 1#
- 1 Cup
- frozen peas; about 6oz, thawed
- 1/4 Cup
- minced fresh parsley, or 1tb dried
- 3 TB
- vegetable oil
How to Make Hearty Beef Stew Slow Cooker Style mm-m!
- 1Prepare everything. Cut meat, chop onions, carrots & potatoes. Heat 1TB of oil in dutch oven over medium high heat, cook half of the meat at a time, so as not to crowd the meat, use tongs to turn the meat to brown the sides, cook for about 4 minutes, the meat does not have to be cooked all the way through. It will finish in the crock-pot. Place that half into the crock-pot, then do the same with the other half of the meat, & put that into the crock-pot as well.
- 2In the dutch oven heat 1TB oil still on medium high heat. Add the onions & 1/4 tsp Salt. Cook, stirring frequently with a flat bottomed wooden spatula to loosen browned bits until the onion has softened about 4-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic, cook for 30 seconds and add the flour cook until lightly colored 1-2 minutes
- 4In a large bowl, toss carrots & potatoes, 1TB oil, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper. On the counter, lay out a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil (use two sheets of regular foil on top of each other if you don’t have heavy-duty). Place the tossed vegetables on one side of the foil. Fold the foil over the vegetables and crimp the edges really well to form a little foil packet a-k-a Hobo Pack that will fit on top of the meat & broth in your slow cooker.
- 5Cook on high for 6-7 hours or low for 10-11 hours. When the stew is finished cooking, carefully remove the foil packet from the top of the stew. Discard the bay leaves from the stew. Carefully open the foil packet (be careful of steam that may escape as you open it!). Return the vegetables and any juices to the slow cooker and gently mix them into the stew. Stir in the frozen peas and let them rest in the stew for 5-10 minutes, until they are heated through. Taste the stew and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Serve with crackers or your favorite bread.
- 6Made with love! From my kitchen to your tummy, I hope you think my food is yummy!! God bless!