How to Make Hamburger Pie
- 1Prepare mashed potatoes in your normal way. Either instant or real potatoes work equally well. Set aside.
- 2Cook ground beef in a cast iron skillet (if you have one). Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain grease after the meat is cooked thoroughly.
- 3Leaving the ground beef in the cast iron skillet, drain most of the juice off and add the corn, green beans, and ro-tel to the meat. Mix well.
You can also use frozen vegetables. Sometimes we change the vegetables up although corn and green beans are still the family favorite.
- 4Add mashed potatoes to the top, covering the entire meat & vegetable mixture.
- 5Bake in oven at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the mashed potato topping begins to turn golden brown in spots.
We like to bake this in a cast iron skillet. If you don't have one a glass baking dish works fine. You can even put it in the microwave with a glass dish, although it won't get the golden brown top on the potatoes unless you put it in the oven.