- rib-eye steaks, 1-inch thick
- vegetable oil, for rubbing on steaks
- 3 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp
- fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp
- shallot, minced
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp
FOR BEARNAISE BUTTER:
How to Make Grilled Rib-Eyed Steaks with Béarnaise Butter
- 1For Bearnaise Butter:
On a small plate with a fork blend all ingredients together well and transfer to a sheet of wax paper. Using wax paper as an aid, shape butter into a 4-inch-long log and wrap. Chill butter 1 hour long, or until firm. Bèarnaise butter may be made 5 days ahead and kept chilled, wrapped tightly.
- 2Prepare grill.
- 3Bring steaks to room temperature and rub lightly with oil. Season steaks with salt and pepper and grill on a rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 4 to 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare meat. (Alternatively, steaks may be grilled in a hot well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderately high heat.)
- 4Serve steaks topped with slices of bèarnaise butter.