Granny Berta's Swiss Steak
Mary Ann Thompson
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspblack pepper
1 largeonion, sliced
1 1/2 cketchup
1 (1 lb.) can(s)tomatoes
12 1/2 pound round steak cut 1-1 1/2 inch thick
How to Make Granny Berta's Swiss Steak
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Pound entire mixture into the meat with a cleaver or glass. Be sure to use the entire mixture and pound it in very well.
- Heat shortening in a large, heavy skillet. Add the meat and brown on both sides.
- Combine ketchup, tomatoes and water in a small bowl. Place sliced onions over top of meat. Pour tomato mixture over meat. Place bay leaf in sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours until meat is done.
- Back when my grandmother was making this there was no such thing as a slow cooker. But, I don't see any reason why you couldn't place it in a slow cooker to let it simmer.