★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1-1 1/2 lb
- mostly lean beef, any cut, the cheaper the better
- olive oil, to coat the bottom of the pan
- 3 Tbsp
- pickling spices, in a teaball or tied in a piece of cheesecloth
- 1 -2 large
- bay leaves
- beef broth
- 15 oz
How to Make Grandma's Braised Beef
- 1In a Dutch oven, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Brown the meat well on all sides.
- 2If using a crockpot, transfer meat to crockpot at this point. In either pot, add all ingredients, except the catsup. Add broth to cover meat.
- 3Simmer covered, over low heat until meat is tender. This can vary with the cut of meat, usually anywhere from 2 to 4 hours (all day in the crockpot.) If using the Dutch oven check every hour or so and keep adding broth to keep meat covered.
- 4Add catsup and cook for and additional 45 minutes to an hour.
- 5My grandmother served it with egg dumplings, but it can be served with egg noodles or potato dumplings. I usually serve it with Gnocchi. They are Italian, but are made the same way as the German potato dumplings, only they are smaller.
- 6What ever you choose to serve it with, cook according to your recipe or the package directions. I put the noodles, or dumplings or Gnocchi in the bottom of a flat soup bowl and ladle the braised beef over.
If you are worried that it isn't a balanced meal (no veggies) it is also good with carrots added. I will occasionally steam a package of sliced carrots and add them to the top in the bowl just before I serve.