Ginger Snap Pot Roast
- 4 lb
- piece of pot roast "i use whatever is on sale"
- 2 c
- enough flour to roll meat in and salt & pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp
- enough oil in bottom of large pot to brown meat in
- 2 medium
- onions chopped and held on side
- 1 c
- ketchup "whatever brand you like"
- 2 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 3/4 c
- white vinegar
- 1 bag(s)
- gingersnap cookies
How to Make Ginger Snap Pot Roast
- 1Roll meat in flour and brown on all sides in pot (not Teflon coated pot), when halfway done add onions and continue to brown.
***Please use care while doing this step as I have watched my mom turning the meat over and it fell off the fork and splashed the oil on her face***
- 2Once all browned, cover with "BOILING" water, (if you add cold water it will make the meat tough".
- 3Add 3/4 cup white vinegar
Add 2 Tbls brown sugar
Add 1 cup ketchup
- 4Let meat simmer for 2-3 hours
- 5Remove meat, strain onions out of water and throw out.
***I skim the onions our so as we don't have to dirty another pot to collect the juice use your own judgement***
Put water back into pot and add gingersnap cookies.
Remember, more water means more gingersnaps to make it thicker.
I usually throw in at least one package depending how much water there is.
They can be crushed or whole as they will dissolve after a few minutes.
- 6Once gravy thickens up put meat back in sauce and let it sit for another 30 minutes.
- 7Side dish with this we have mashed potatos and green beans. I love the gravy