German Style Pot Roast
4 lbpot roast
1/8 tspblack pepper
1 largeonion, sliced
1 pkgdry onion soup mix
1 Tbspgrated horseradish
1 cgood rum or dry red wine
·small whole carrots or large carrots, quartered
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspdried thyme
1/2 tspkosher salt
1/2 cwhole milk
1 largeegg, lightly beaten
How to Make German Style Pot Roast
- Use this recipe for either regular meat, buffalo or venison.
- Mash garlic and saute in butter.
- Add salt & pepper to the flour. Dredge meat in flour.
- Brown well on all sides in butter.
- Lay meat on bed of sliced onion in large dutch oven.
- Add the butter, spices, onion soup mix and seasonings.
- Pour rum or wine over meat.
- A good pot roast will supply most of its own juices, but pour the water over to make an ample supply of gravy.
- Cover tightly and simmer 4+ hours (until the meat is tender), either in oven or on the stove top.
- If carrots are wanted, add during last 1/2 hour of cooking.
- Add dumplings last 12 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, thyme and salt.
- In a measuring cup combine milk and egg. Mix well and add to flour mixture. Stir with a fork to make a lumpy dough (do not overmix - lumps are fine).
- Drop dumpling mixture, by the heaping spoon full, over meat. Should make about 12 dumplings.
- Cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until tester inserted in center of dumpling comes out clean.
- When roast is done, remove to a hot round platter and surround with dumplings and carrots.
- Stir gravy until smooth.
- Pour over roast.
- If fresh dill is available, cut it over dish with lavish hand.
- *If the gravy is too thin, make a roux with the leftover flour. Stir it into boiling gravy.
- **You can also make this in a crock pot. Extend cooking time to 8 hrs. and cook the dumplings for about 25 minutes.