Genuine Texas Chili1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
3 lbchuck roast, trimmed of all fat
2 lblean ground beef
2 largeonions, coarsely chopped
5garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 Tbspcumin seeds
2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1/2 tspcayenne or ground red pepper
3 Tbspchili powder
2 can(s)peeled, whole tomatoes, 28 ounces each
2 can(s)tomato sauce, 15 ounces
14 ozred enchilada sauce
How to Make Genuine Texas Chili
- Grind beef with coarse blade of grinder or cut into small pieces, larger than regular ground beef.
- Combine meats, onions and garlic in large kettle or dutch oven.
- Brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add seasonings, stirring to mix well.
- Shred tomatoes by hand so that both tomatoes and juices will fall into pot.
- Stir in tomato and enchilada sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer over low heat 1 1/2 hours.
- Add water and cook 1 1/2 hours longer.
- Skim grease.
- Adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Serve hot with crackers or hard rolls.