How to Make Fool Proof Prime Rib Roast
- 1Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375°F Rub roast with House Seasoning;Paula Deen House Seasoning (use 1 T)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
OR use 1 Tablespoon Johnny's seasoning
- 3Place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up.
- 4Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 2-3 hours. (I give a range because I have had roasts perfect to a bit over-cooked. I would check temperature after 2 hours--don't go over 125°F in final cooking cycle because it will rise another 10 degrees or so during resting phase).
- 5About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375°F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.
- 6Cover with foil and let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
- 7In order to satisfy everyone with prime rib. Cook it rare. If anyone wants it done medium, dip their slice in a pot of simmering au jus for 1 minute