Filet Of Beef In Phyllo Pastry with Madeira Sauce
Yet it is not difficult to make.
- 3 lb
- filet mignon, whole and trimmed
- "just a pinch" of salt
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 lb
- mushrooms, finely chopped
- shallots, chopped
- 1 pkg
- phyllo dough
- 1/2 c
- butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp
- 1.5 Tbsp
- 3/4 c
- beef stock
- 1 tsp
- kitchen bouquet
- 1/4 c
- madeira wine
How to Make Filet Of Beef In Phyllo Pastry with Madeira Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Rub filet with salt. In a heavy skillet, sear the meat over high heat in sweet butter until brown on all sides to seal in the juices. Set aside.
- 2Layer 12 pieces of phyllo pastry together, brushing each layer with melted butter.
Spread about half of the mushroom/shallot mixture on the pastry and place the seared beef on top. Then place remaining mushrooms on top of filet and fold the phyllo dough around the filet.
- 3Prepare an additional 5 to 6 layers of phyllo pastry, each brushed with butter. Seal all edges of roast by overlapping with this additional pastry and brush with butter.
Place beef in a buttered baking pan and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until pastry is browned and flaky. Prepare madiera sauce while beef is baking.
- 4MADIERA SAUCE:
Melt the butter, stir in flour, and cook for 5 minutes. Add beef stock, kitchen bouquet, and madeira. Cook until thickened.
Remove beef to a serving dish and serve with madeira sauce.