Filet De Boeuf En Croute (Filet Mignon in Puff Pastry)
This is VERY easy to make, too!
Lovely photo taken by NcMysteryShopper. Thanks, Cheryl!!
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This recipe is really impressive and REALLY easy. If you are preparing this for Valentines or company, you can fix everything ahead of time. Then, when ready, just stick in oven and enjoy a little extra time with your Valentine or company. The Test Kitchen
- filet mignon steaks at least 2" thick
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, softened
- coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- minced garlic, optional if you don't care for garlic
- slices muenster, swiss, havarti, or monterey jack cheese
- sheet puff pastry rolled out just a little bit
- egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
How to Make Filet De Boeuf En Croute (Filet Mignon in Puff Pastry)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 425º.
- 2Trim any fat from the steaks, sprinkle with pepper, spread tops of each with 1 Tbsp butter.
- 3In shallow roasting pan, (I use my metal 13x9 cake pan), bake in pre-heated oven, buttered side up, at 425º for 10 minutes.
- 4Place in fridge til cold. I pop it right into the fridge and set the pan on a dish towel.
- 5Roll out puff pastry a little and cut in half. Spread steaks with garlic, top with cheese.
Place cheese side down onto center of pastry squares, fold pastry over, moisten edges and seal well. Place seam-side down onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Prick top with a fork, cover with plastic wrap, and re-chill for 1 hour.
- 6Beat egg with oil, and brush pastry with it. Bake in center of pre-heated 425º oven for 25 minutes for med-rare. LESS if your steaks are thinner or prefer rare. Longer if you prefer medium. Serve with sour cream horseradish sauce if desired.
- 7*If you have a tiny bit of extra pastry, roll with your hands into a long rope, cut in half and use to make a design on top of each before baking and basting.