★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 Tbspvegetable oil
6 lbrump roast
4leeks, cut into 1/4" pieces
3 largeonions, diced
3carrots, peeled and chopped
How to Make Drunken Rump Roast
- Tie the peppercorns, cloves, bay leaf and thyme in a piece of damp cheesecloth.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy, nonreactive pot set over high heat.
- Add the roast and sear on all sides until browned.
- Add the beer and the herb packet to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover tightly, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 1 1/4 hours.
- Add the leeks and onions, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and salt, and simmer for 30 minutes longer.
- Remove the roast, keep it warm, discard the cheesecloth packet and strain.
- Reserve the broth and the vegetable mixture separately.
- There should be about 6 1/2 cups broth.
- Skim off the fat and reserve 1/2 cup broth.
- Refrigerate the remaining broth for use in other recipes.
- Carve four 3/8 inch thick slices of rump roast against the grain.
- Drizzle with some of the reserved broth.
- Top each with 2-3 tablespoons of the vegetable mixture.
- Serve immediately.
- Wrap and refrigerate the remaining roast for later in the week.