Donna's Best Beef Stew
Simmer in a Dutch Oven for 1-1/2 hrs then add vegetables till tender.
This recipe is also suitable for a crock pot just don't add more than 3/4 full of the ingredients!
NOTE: Never tell them you found this recipe, just serve and let them admire your handy work! That will be our secret!
The wine is divine in this beautiful stew!The small amount is not over powering at all. If your family does not care for wine I suggest using the same amount of beef broth.
- 2 lb
- beef stew meat, cubed to bite size
- 1 c
- baby carrots
- 6 large
- baking potatoes, scrubed, chopped
- 32 oz
- beef broth, reduced sodium
- 1 pkg
- onion soup mix
- 1 can(s)
- healthy request cream of mushroom soup, or dry pkg beef gravy
- 1/2 c
- carbernet sauvignon, or merlot wine (use a good drinkng.wine).
- 1 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- onion powder
- 1 tsp
- seasoning salt, such as mccormick's
- 2-3 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- water, cold
How to Make Donna's Best Beef Stew
- 1Brown stew meat in a little vegetable oil. Add McCormick’s season all salt, garlic powder and onion powder to stew meat while browning. Add remaining ingredients. Set for desired time, 4hrs, 6 hrs, and 8-10 hrs. I cook mine for the longest time possible as it makes for a richer broth! This may be simmered on low for 1-1/2 hours in a DUTCH OVEN, before adding the vegetables. Once vegetables are added simmer an additional 20-30 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are fork tender!
- 2When vegetables are tender...thicken broth, add 4 tablespoons of cornstarch to ½ cup of cold water. Mix till smooth and add to stew. Stir well until broth is thickened.
- 3*The longer the stew cooks the more tender the meat and richer the broth.*