Serving size 1 cup, Calories 291, Total Fat 18g, Sat Fat 7g, Chol 61mg, Sodium 789mg, Potassium 88mg, Total Carbs 23g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 3g, Protein 17g, Vit A 13%, Vit C 27%, Calcium 1%, Iron 13%
Serving Suggestion: Green Beans & Cornbread
1 lbground chuck
1/2 lbjohnsonville® italian hot sausage
1 cyellow onion finely chopped
3/4 cgreen bell pepper finely chopped
1/4 ccelery finely chopped
2 tspgarlic minced
2 Tbspemeril creole essence
1 tspblack pepper ground
2 cchicken broth low sodium
3 crice cooked
1/4 cparsely fresh
How to Make Dirty Rice
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yields: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New Orleans Cooking by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
- In a large, heavy saute pan, over medium-high heat. brown ground chuck and sausage, about 6 minutes. Drain
- Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, Essence and cook, stirring, for 5minutes.
- Add the stock and bay leaves and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir thoroughly. Cook until the rice is heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the bay leaves. Stir in the parsley and serve.