Deviled Swiss Steak
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 tsp
- dry mustard
- 3 lb
- beef round steak, cut 1" thick
- 2 Tbsp
- salad oil
- 4 oz
- can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 Tbsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
How to Make Deviled Swiss Steak
- 1Combine flour, salt, pepper, and dry mustard.
Sprinkle mixture over round steak and pound into meat with a meat mallet.
- 2In a heavy skillet, brown steak slowly on both sides in hot oil. Drain off excess fat.
- 3Drain mushrooms; reserve the liquid.
Add water if needed to make 1/2 cup liquid.
Add mushroom liquid and Worcestershire sauce to meat in skillet.
- 4Cover tightly and cook over low heat for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or till tender.
During the last few minutes, add mushrooms and heat through.
- 5Skim any fat from the pan juices before serving.
Garnish with parsley, if desired.