It uses basic ingredients, but sounds quite tasty!
It is easy, AND economical, which is always a plus!
If you try it, please let me know how you like it!
Photo by Bing.
How to Make Depression Meatloaf
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl, pour milk over the bread. Let stand until the milk is absorbed.
- 3Add onion, salt and pepper. Stir with a fork until bread softens and is light and fluffy.
- 4Mix in ground beef; stir in beaten egg. Shape into a loaf. Place in lightly greased baking dish.
- 5Spread loaf with ketchup; top with bacon strips. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 6*The original recipe did not call for the egg; I think eggs were in short supply during the depression. Maybe the canned milk helps it hold together? Anyway, I added the egg to the recipe just in case I had inadvertantly not copied the recipe correctly!