Deer or Elk Heart, boiled
This is my husband's favorite meat for a sandwich.
A little work, but worth it..
How to Make Deer or Elk Heart, boiled
- 1Wash and clean a whole heart. Cut off the fat on the top and any grisel on top that you can feel. Place in a large bowl or non metal container. Fill with cold water that will cover the heart. Pour salt over and set in refrigerator for 2 days, changing the water and salt every day. I have set a plate on top to keep it submerged..I have tried a zip lock bag but be very careful.
- 2After heart has soaked. Pour off the salted water. Rinse heart. Place in pot, large enough to cover with water & has a lid. Add water.
- 3Add salt & pepper to your taste, onion flakes (or diced onion), and garlic powder..(or a clove of garlic)
- 4Bring to a boil. Turn down down to simmer and put on lid. Simmer for 3 to 4 hours. The longer it simmers, the more tender it will be. Add water as needed to keep heart covered. Poke heart with fork to feel how tender it is.
- 5Remove heart and let cool enough to handle. Take a knife and peel off the outer layer(looks kind of like a thin skin). You can also trim the inside cavity a much as possible. Your pet will love the scraps.
- 6Cut heart into thin slices and trim interior holes as needed. Place in ziploc to keep it from drying out.
- 7You can also use an elk, moose or beef heart. Of course, they take longer to cook.
- 8To make sandwich, use your choice of bread & your own sides and layer 3 or more slices on top. Salt and pepper to taste.