★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 largecube steaks cut in 1/2
1/4 cvegetable oil
2 call purpose flour
2 Tbspgarlic powder
1/2 cof each yellow onion & celery (chopped)
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup
2beef boullion cubes
3 cwater or red wine
How to Make Cube Steak & Gravy
- in a dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- In a shallow baking dish/pie plate place flour, garlic powder, salt & pepper mix together with a fork.
- dredge cube steak in flour mixture (saving left over flour for a "roux").
- over medium heat lightly brown each side cube steak in heated oil; remove from pan and place on plate.
- while oil in pan is still hot place 2 or 3 tablespoons of the left over flour in the pan and mix until the oil is absorbed in the flour.
- add the celery and onions to flour/oil mix well, cover and let simmer 5 or 6 minutes.
- whisk water (or wine),mushroom soup & bouillion cubes to the onion/celery in the pot and bring to a boil.
- as soon as liquid in the pot has come to a low boil, return cube steak (and juices from the cube steak) to the pot and let simmer over low heat for about and hour and a half, stirring occassionally. ( if the gravy isn't thick enough I usually thicken it with 1/2 cup water and 2TBS of corn starch).
- when the steaks are fork tender it's done and wonderful served with mashed potatoes or white rice!!