Crispy Orange Beef
It's the dry sherry and orange juice that makes this dish so delicious..among other ingredients...
- 2 lb
- boneless beef chuck roast,trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 tsp
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp
- orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp
- grated lime zest
- 1 Tbsp
- lime juice
- 1 small
- onion, halved and sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp
- dry sherry
- lime wedges, for garnish
How to Make Crispy Orange Beef
- 2Bring beef, 2 cups water, and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt to a boil in a 12 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until beef is tender, about an hour and 45 minutes. Best to check after 30 minutes, to add water if needed, so that the bottom third of beef is under water.
While beef simmers, combine the garlic,oil, and cumin in a small cup. Combine orange juice and lime zest and lime juice in another small cup.
- 3Uncover skillet and turn heat to medium, and simmer until beef starts to sizzle about 5 minutes. Remove meat to a jelly roll pan. Pour fat from skillet, reserve 3 teaspoons. Rinse and dry skillet with paper towels.Set aside.
Place a sheet of foil over beef and using a something heavy like the flat side of a meat tenderizer or heavy pan, pound to flatten beef into 1/8-inch thick pieces, discarding large pieces of fat or connective tissue.
Note: Some of the meat should separate into shreds. Larger pieces can be torn in half.
- 4Heat reserved fat in the previous skillet over high heat. When fat begins to sizzle, add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring, until onion is golden brown and charred in spots, about 7 minutes. Add sherry and 1/4 cup water and cook until liquid evaporates, about 2 to 3 minutes. Place onions in a bowl. Return skillet to high heat, add 1 1/2 teaspoons fat,heat until it begins to sizzle. Add beef back into pan and cook, stirring until dark golden brown and crusty, about 3 minutes.
- 5Reduce heat to low and push meat to sides of skillet. Add garlic mixture to center and cook, stirring until fragrant and golden brown. less than 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat, add orange juice mixture and onion and toss to combine. Season with pepper to taste. Serve with lime wedges and rice on the side.