Creamed Ground Beef Over Mashed Potatoes
1onion, finely chopped
1garlic clove, minced
1 lbground beef
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
4potatoes, peeled and cubed
How to Make Creamed Ground Beef Over Mashed Potatoes
- Put the onions, garlic, and ground beef in a large skillet.
- Cook until ground beef is no longer pink.
- Drain excess fat, then add salt and peppers.
- Remove to a separate bowl.
- Melt butter in the skillet.
- Add flour, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly over low heat for about two minutes.
- Do not allow to burn.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly after each addition and allowing to boil before adding more.
- This results in a smooth sauce.
- When all milk has been added, continue to stir constantly and bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil for one minute or until sauce is thick, continuing to stir.
- Remove from heat and stir into beef mixture.
- Prepare mashed potatoes: Place potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover by about 1/2 inch.
- Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Pour off cooking water (or save for a terrific addition to breads).
- Add butter and milk (or cream).
- Mash to desired consistency.
- Serve ground beef mixture spooned over the mashed potatoes.
- Variations: Add one teaspoon of your favorite spice blend to make a new and exciting variation.
- You can eliminate the cayenne pepper if you don't like spicy hot foods.
- If you do, then please add more!