By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 lbfirst cut brisket of beef
3garlic cloves, slivered
3garlic cloves, crushed
4 largeonions, thinly sliced
1 capple cider vinegar
1.5 Tbspbacon fat
1 cstrong brewed coffee
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Cowboy's Brisket
- With a long thin, sharp knife, make slits in the meat and insert the slivers of garlic.
- Place the meat in a bowl, spread 1 sliced onion and the crushed garlic over the meat, and pour in the vinegar.
- Marinate for 6 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator, turning several times.
- When ready to cook, prehaeat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the bacon fat in a deep, heavy skillet large enough to hold the brisket.
- Remove the brisket from the marinade and discard the onion in vinegar.
- Dry with paper towels.
- Brown the meat well on all sides.
- Remove brisket to a platter.
- In the fat remaining in the skillet, saute the remaining sliced onions until deeply browned.
- Pour in 1/2 cup coffee.
- Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the bottom of the skillet to loosen the browned bits.
- Spread the onions and liquid from the skillet in a shallow baking dish.
- Place the brisket on the onions.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Pour in the remaining coffee and water.
- Cover tightly with foil and place in oven for 1/2 hour.
- Turn the oven down to 250 degrees and bake for an additional 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Slice the brisket thinly against the grain.
- Skim the fat from the pan liquid.
- Return the meat slices to the pan.
- Serve at once or refrigerate for later use.