By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 4 lb
- first cut brisket of beef
- garlic cloves, slivered
- garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 large
- onions, thinly sliced
- 1 c
- apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 Tbsp
- bacon fat
- 1 c
- strong brewed coffee
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c
How to Make Cowboy's Brisket
- 1With a long thin, sharp knife, make slits in the meat and insert the slivers of garlic.
- 2Place the meat in a bowl, spread 1 sliced onion and the crushed garlic over the meat, and pour in the vinegar.
- 3Marinate for 6 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator, turning several times.
- 4When ready to cook, prehaeat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Heat the bacon fat in a deep, heavy skillet large enough to hold the brisket.
- 6Remove the brisket from the marinade and discard the onion in vinegar.
- 7Dry with paper towels.
- 8Brown the meat well on all sides.
- 9Remove brisket to a platter.
- 10In the fat remaining in the skillet, saute the remaining sliced onions until deeply browned.
- 11Pour in 1/2 cup coffee.
- 12Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping the bottom of the skillet to loosen the browned bits.
- 13Spread the onions and liquid from the skillet in a shallow baking dish.
- 14Place the brisket on the onions.
- 15Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- 16Pour in the remaining coffee and water.
- 17Cover tightly with foil and place in oven for 1/2 hour.
- 18Turn the oven down to 250 degrees and bake for an additional 2 hours or until meat is very tender.
- 19Slice the brisket thinly against the grain.
- 20Skim the fat from the pan liquid.
- 21Return the meat slices to the pan.
- 22Serve at once or refrigerate for later use.