Cowboy Pot Roast - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
This recipe is adapted from my 2005 Southern Living Annual Cookbook.
The original recipe calls for a 2 1/2 to 3 pound eye of round roast, I selected a 2 1/2 lb sirloin steak. The recipe calls for a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, I used diced tomatoes with Habaneros. The original also called to drain the 15.5 ounce can of tomatoes, I did NOT drain. And, it called for cooking on high in a slow cooker for 5 to 6 hours, I prepared this dish on top of the stove in a cast iron dutch oven for about 2 hours.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1/2 tsp
- salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp
- pepper, divided
- (14.5 ounce) can petite-cute diced tomatoes, undrained
- (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (i used hot diced tomatoes with habaneros)
- 1 medium
- onion, cut into 8 wedges (i chopped onions)
- 1 Tbsp
- chili powder
- (2 1/2 to 3 lb) sirloin steak
- 2 Tbsp
- canola oil
- (16-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- (15-ounce) can black beans
- pickled jalapeno pepper slices, optional
How to Make Cowboy Pot Roast - Dee Dee's
- 4Remove steak from Dutch Oven, and cut into larger than bit size chunks; skim any fat from the Dutch Oven.
- 5Mash 1 1/2 cans of the pinto beans and add to the Dutch Oven; add steak chucks and stir until combined.
- 6Smimmer on med-low for an additional 10 minutes.
- 7NOTE: This is a very thick hearty dish. The heat in this dish is entirely up to you. I used a can of HOT Diced Tomatoes with Habaneros. This was pretty spicy! We served this over rice and had a slice of cornbread with it. YUMMY! Also, you could add cummin and garlic and come up with a really nice Chili.