- 1-1/2 lb. ground round or 2 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can whole cernel corn, drained
- 1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded ( we like sharp)
- 1/3c sour cream or yogurt
- 1- 30oz. bag frozen tater tots, thawed
How to Make Cowboy Casserole!
- 1In a large skillet over med-high, sauté onions and garlic in a little oil until soft but not brown. Remove from skillet.
- 2Add the meat to the same skillet and cook until no longer pink and starting to brown. Drain if needed.
Add the sautéed onion mixture back in and add some salt and pepper to taste.
- 3In a small bowl combine soup, milk, sour cream and stir well to combine. Add corn and 1 cup of the cheese. Stir. Combine with the beef mixture.
- 4Grease or spray a 9x13 casserole.
Place half of the tater tots in the bottom.
Pour the meat mixture over the top and now place the remaining tater tots on top of this.
Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- 5Bake @ 350F 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crunchy.
- 6Note: this can be prepared the night before in which case there is no need to thaw the tater tots first. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Since it is cold it will take longer to bake.