Country Beef Stew with a Secret Ingredient
- 2 lb
- beef stew meat
- onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp
- 1 lb
- carrots cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lb
- white potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 3 stalk(s)
- celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 can(s)
- diced tomatoes
- 1/2 c
- ketchup (the secret ingredient!)
- 3/4 c
- peas, frozen petite
- 1/2 tsp
- salt and pepper
- 1 c
How to Make Country Beef Stew with a Secret Ingredient
- 1You can either cook this in a crock pot or simmer on the stove. I cook it for about 8 hours on low in the crock pot. It needs to simmer on the stove for about 90 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- 2Heat oil in a skillet and brown the meat in batches. Move it to the crock pot or dutch oven as you go. When the meat is all browned, add the flour to the skillet. Add more oil if needed. Brown as if for gravy. Add cold water and mix well. Pour over meat.
- 3Add everything else to the pot except the peas.
- 4Mix and cover.
- 5Crock pot - Cook on low for 8 hours. Add the peas and let them heat through. Enjoy!
- 6Stove top - Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until meat is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Add more water if needed. Stir in the peas and let heat through. Enjoy!