Corned beef and Cabbage By Freda
Feel free to add an extra vegie to your meal, or go with the Suggestions in this recipe.
I cook mine in a dutch oven, But you can cook in crock pot it just takes a bit longer.
I have also cooked my meat in the Pressure Cooker, but for very short time, or you'll have mush and ruin your dinner. Then add vegies after the meat has cooked.
Savannah, Ga. my home town has one of the bigggest Irish Festivities for St Patty's day, with all the green beer and Irish foods one can imagine, & fun for all. Its a BIG to DO in Savannah.
- allspice berries
- 1 tsp
- blk peppercorns
- 2 Med
- bay leaves crumbled
- fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 lb (approx) size corned beef
- 3 C
- beef broth
- 1 lge
- 1 med
- clove garlic, minced
- 3 lb
- potatoes, washed and quartered, (i used red new potatoes or yukon gold peels on)
- 4 lg
- carrots cut in 1/2 about 3" lengths
- 1 med
- head green cabbage, cored and cut into 6-8 wedges
- 1 med
- rutabaga cut into 2" chunks
- 2 med
- turnips cut into quarters
CORNED BEEF SPICES
How to Make Corned beef and Cabbage By Freda
- 1combine the spices in a small bag of Cheesecloth, tied in a knot. Tie tight to keep spices in the bag.
- 2Put the corned beef into a 6-8 Qt dutch oven;
Add Broth and spice bag.
Add enough water to cover the Corned eef brisket.
Add Garlic & Onion.
Bring to Boil; Reduce Heat to Low, and simmer for 2 hrs.Remove the corned beef to a platter, Cover with foil place in oven to keep warm on low.
- 3Skim any fat off the broth;
Add the Potatoes, carrots, & Vegies.(EXCEPT CABBAGE)
( if there is too much broth remove some)
Bring to BOIL; Cover, reduce the heat to med, and cook for approx 10 min.
Now, ADD: Cabbage wedges, continue cooking about 20 min. till cabbage is tender
- 4Slice the Corned beef and serve with all the vegies.
serve with Horseradish, and or Mustard
Enjoy a wonderful Irish meal.