Cornbread Skillet Dinner
- 1 lb
- lean beef
- eggs well beaten
- 1 c
- self rising corn meal mix
- 1 can(s)
- 14 3/4 oz cream corn
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 1 large
- onion, finely chopped
- 2 c
- finely shredded cheddar cheese
- jalapeno peppers, washed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2-1 Tbsp
- peanut oil for skillet
- cilantro, fresh for garnish(optional)
How to Make Cornbread Skillet Dinner
- 2In a large mixing bowl, beat 2 eggs, using an electric mixer. Stir in 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, a 14 ¾-oz. can of cream-style corn, 1 cup milk, and ¼ cup vegetable oil.
- 3Place ½ to 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a 10 ½-inch cast iron skillet, and heat until very hot, but not smoking. (If you do not have a cast iron skillet, you may use a 10-inch deep dish pie plate, greased with peanut oil, but do not heat the oil.)
- 4Pour half of the cornbread batter into the hot skillet. Top evenly with the browned ground beef, followed by 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, 1 chopped onion, and 2 to 4 chopped jalapeno peppers.
- 5Try to get full and even coverage with each layer. Pour as much of the remaining cornbread batter over the top as your skillet will take, leaving at least ½-inch for the cornbread to rise.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve a wedge on a nice serving plate with some cilantro for garnish, along with a glass of cold milk.