Cornbread Skillet Dinner
1 lblean beef
2eggs well beaten
1 cself rising corn meal mix
1 can(s)14 3/4 oz cream corn
1/4 cvegetable oil
1 largeonion, finely chopped
2 cfinely shredded cheddar cheese
2-4jalapeno peppers, washed, seeded and finely chopped
1/2-1 Tbsppeanut oil for skillet
·cilantro, fresh for garnish(optional)
How to Make Cornbread Skillet Dinner
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 2 eggs, using an electric mixer. Stir in 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, a 14 ¾-oz. can of cream-style corn, 1 cup milk, and ¼ cup vegetable oil.
- Place ½ to 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a 10 ½-inch cast iron skillet, and heat until very hot, but not smoking. (If you do not have a cast iron skillet, you may use a 10-inch deep dish pie plate, greased with peanut oil, but do not heat the oil.)
- Pour half of the cornbread batter into the hot skillet. Top evenly with the browned ground beef, followed by 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, 1 chopped onion, and 2 to 4 chopped jalapeno peppers.
- Try to get full and even coverage with each layer. Pour as much of the remaining cornbread batter over the top as your skillet will take, leaving at least ½-inch for the cornbread to rise.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve a wedge on a nice serving plate with some cilantro for garnish, along with a glass of cold milk.