Classic Pot Roast with garlic-thyme gravy
- 3 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- boneless chuck roast, trimmed, seasoned with salt and pepper (3 - 4 lb)
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- 1/2 c
- dry white wine
- 1 1/2 c
- low sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbsp
- worcestershire sauce
- 2 c
- sliced onions
- medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2 - 3 inch pieces
- large celery ribs, cut into 2 - 3 inch pieces
- cloves garlic, chopped
- sprigs fresh tyme
- bay leaves
How to Make Classic Pot Roast with garlic-thyme gravy
- 1Heat oil in a saute pan over medium high. Sear roast on all sides, 10 minutes total. Transfer roast to a 4 - 6 qt slow cooker.
- 2Stir flour into saute pan; cook 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook 1 min more.
- 3Deglaze saute pan with wine, cooking until liquid evaporates. Stir in broth and Worcestershire; bring mixture to a simmer, scraping up any brown bits.
- 4Transfer broth mixture to the slow cooker; add onions, carrots celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Cover and cook until meat is fork tender, on high heat setting for 4 - 5 hours or on low heat setting 8 - 9 hours. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves before serving.