You can also add a can of drained black beans or pinto beans to the beef before putting on the corn muffin mix. Gives more protein and stretches the dish.
- 1 lb
- ground beef, lean
- 1 c
- chopped onion
- 1 can(s)
- ro-tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 Tbsp
- chili powder (more or less)
- envelope corn muffin mix (or mix your own)
- 1/2 c
- grated monterey jack cheese
- milk for corn muffin mix
How to Make Chili-Tamale Pie
- 1Use a heavy, oven-proof skillet. I used a cast iron one. Preheat oven to temperature specified on corn muffin mix.
- 2Brown beef and onion in the skillet over medium-high heat. Pour off any fat. Stir in Ro-Tel and chili powder. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until sauce is reduced and thick.
- 3Mix corn muffin mix using the milk for the liquid, and stir in the grated cheese. Spread mixture on top of the beef in the skillet.
- 4Bake casserole for time specified on muffin mix, usually 20-25 minutes. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes before serving.