★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 lbground meat
14 1/2 ozdiced tomatoes
15 ozkernel corn
1recipe unsweetened cornbread batter
·jalapenos to taste, minced
·cooked rice (optional)
How to Make Chili casserole
- Substitution: 1 can = just under two cups fresh/homemade. I like black beans, but kidneys or pintos or whatever you have should work. This is not a fussy recipe.
- Drain tomatoes, corn, and beans. Chop onion.
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT cornbread batter
- Spread into a 9 x 13 baking pan. Top with cornbread batter.
- Bake according to the directions for the cornbread. You might need to add some baking time.
- To freeze: Prepare and freeze only the filling. Thaw and add cornbread batter just before baking. You can freeze the entire thing but the crust will be flat, not puffy (it tastes fine, but the texture is less appealing).
- You can substitute cooked rice for some or all of the meat (1 pound meat = 2 generous cups browned and crumbled. Substitute rice quantity accordingly). I assume you can also substitute more beans for meat but I haven't tried it yet. You can also add cheese between the filling and crust.