Chicken Fried Steak and Cream Gravy
How to Make Chicken Fried Steak and Cream Gravy
- 1Trim steak and pound, if needed, to 1/2 inch thick; cut into 6 to 8 pieces.
- 2Combine milk, hot pepper sauce and salt in a bowl.
- 3Measure 1 cup of flour into a bowl.
- 4Combine remaining flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- 5Dip steak into flour, milk mixture then into seasoned flour.
- 6Set aside until all meat is coated.
- 7Heat 1 or 2 inches of oil in fry pan.
- 8Fry meat until both sides are golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- 9Drain on paper towels.
- 10Serve with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy.
- 11CREAM SAUCE: Pour off all but 6 tablespoons of fat from fry pan; add 6 tablespoons flour into pan (use any leftover seasoned flour) and blend well.
- 12Gradually stir in 2 1/2 cups milk.
- 13Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- 14Season with salt and pepper.
- 15Cover steaks with gravy when served.
- 16Makes 2 cups.