Chicago Italian Beef
Using rare roast beef is key!! It will cook when in the stock and you don't want it to be tough.
You can top your sandwich with hot peppers of any kind or the traditional giardinera relish (made from pickled Greek peppers, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, celery, turnips, red peppers, olives and onions).
1 1/2 cbeef stock
3 Tbsptomato paste
1/2 tspred pepper, crushed
1/4 tspminced garlic
1 lbroast beef, rare, sliced thin
2green bell peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
4italian bread loaves, 4-5 inches long
1 Tbspitalian seasoning
1 Tbspworcestershire sauce
How to Make Chicago Italian Beef
- Combine beef stock, water, tomato paste, pepper, salt, italian seasoning, worcestershire, bay leaf and garlic in a large pan deep enough to submerge meant & peppers.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add roast beef slices and green pepper slices.
- Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- While beef is cooking heat bread in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes.
- Cut loaves of bread into half lengthwise.
- Dip each piece of bread, cut side down, into pan liquid (omit this step if you like a dry beef sandwich).
- Assemble sandwiches dividing beef and peppers evenly between the 4 loaves of bread.